Wednesday, November 21, 2012


A LAMENT - FOR ‘WOULD BE’ ROOSTERS

I would be a rooster proud
welcoming each brand new dawn
flouncing up my plumage royal
lifting high my bright red comb
and cocka do da doodling

BUT WOE

That is not my destiny
for I am surplus to my kind
I am doomed for deathly ends
a life on earth will not be mine

YES WOE

Woe is me and all my brothers
we do not see the light of day
we are not bred for cockerel meat
nor any eggs can we ever lay

WOE AND WOE AGAIN

What will befall us all this day?
Will it be maseration,
gas chamber, dislocation
or electrocution?
We know not

WE KNOW NOTHING - BUT WOE

Woe is all we are good for
the humans have decided
that this is progress 101
and does not even seem to be derided

WOE WOE WOE

Brenda Walker, Nov 2012.
 © Copyright Act 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment